Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Beef & Bean Crescent Pie

I had some (reduced fat) crescent rolls from a recent sale in the frig & decided to make a Mexican type pizza for dinner tonight.  I found this recipe but tweaked it quite a bit.  It was very good & very adjustable depending on what you like.  Note:  I didn't measure anything.

1 1/4 pounds ground beef  [I used only about 1 lb.]
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning  [I just used cumin, garlic powder, chili powder & pepper]
1/3 cup salsa  [I used one can of canned roasted tomatoes]
1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated crescent rolls  [I used reduced fat to save a little calories] :)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened  [I used light sour cream instead]
1/2 cup refried beans  [I used an entire can]
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese or Cheddar cheese

I also added:  one chopped onion, one chopped zucchini & a cup of roasted corn.  I sauted these with the meat after it was cooked.  You could use regular corn too.  I topped with avocado.

other things you could add:  green chilis, bell peppers, cilantro, green onions, etc.

1.In a large skillet, cook the beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and salsa; simmer, uncovered, until thickened. Meanwhile, unroll crescent roll dough. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish; seal perforations. [I cooked the cresent rolls for about 4 minutes before adding the topping so it wouldn't get soggy from adding the toppings] Spread cream cheese over the dough.

2.Stir the refried beans into beef mixture. Spoon over cream cheese layer. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.  Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment