Sunday, August 23, 2009

Here goes nothing

I'm going to attempt to keep a blog with ways to save $$$ and easy meals.  If there's something you'd like me to post, let me know.  This is my first blog & I'm a rookie!!

When I cook, I always tweak a recipe by adding things I like or deleting something I don't.  I rarely measure accept when I bake.  Feel free to make a recipe your own.

It was a warm day & I didn't feel like turning on the oven so I thought a salad would be good so I made a Southwest Chicken Salad. 


Southwest Chicken Salad
Dressing:
1/2 cup packed cilantro
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon honey

Tortilla Strips:  [I crushed store bought tortilla chips instead of making them]
8-10 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
2-4 tablespoons vegetable oil

Salad
any kind of lettuce or spinach
radishes, thinly sliced  [I omitted]
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
chopped tomatoes
rinsed and drained black beans
corn kernels, thawed if frozen  [Trader Joes roasted corn is awesome!]
diced avocado
seeded and cubed cucumber
sliced green onion

Blend dressing ingredients in blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
 
Fry tortilla strips in hot oil until crisp; drain on paper towels.
 
Combine remaining ingredients in the bowl and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment