Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Baked French Toast

I forgot to take a picture.... but it was delish.  You could adapt this recipe with any fruit, dried fruit (raisins), nuts or anything you like.  You can use whole or low fat milk.  I added some almond extract too.  You can even add some liqueur too.   I made it the night before & just popped it in the oven in the morning.


Baked French Toast
1 loaf challah, sliced 1-inch cubes  (you could use french or cinnamon raisin bread too)
4 cups milk
3 eggs
3 tablespoons sugar [I used agave syrup]
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of extact or ¼ cup liqueur
other flavorings – ½ cup toasted nuts, 1 teaspoon zest, ½ cup dried fruit

Grease a baking dish. Arrange half of the bread in a tightly-packed layer in the pan. Add the nuts, dried fruit or fresh fruit. Place the remaining bread on top of the first layer.

Whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, salt, extract/liqueur, and zest, or fruit/flavorings of your choice and pour over the bread. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.


Bake at 400 degrees until puffed and golden, about 30 minutes. Serve with maple syrup, agave syrup, fresh fruit, powdered sugar or all of the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment