Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cilantro pesto





I'm a huge cilantro fan while my husband isn't so much.  So I decided to trick him and make a pesto with cilantro.  I don't think he even realized it. ;)   I made the pest the day before so it would blend well.   I added it to some whole wheat pasta, grilled up some chicken breast and roasted some grape tomatoes & zucchini.  Very easy & good.  


Here is the pesto:


2 cups cilantro 
1/4 cup of roasted pinenuts  [I used almonds b/c I didn't have pinenuts.  You could use walnuts too.  I couldn't tell the difference.  I roasted in a frying pan on the stove until they were lightly toasted.] 
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese 
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
6 Tbsp olive oil [If you want to make this healthier, you could use 1/2 olive oil & 1/2 water]


*I added a handful of fresh spinach leaves. If you're not a cilantro fan, this will mellow the cilantro flavor a bit.


--Put all the ingredients into a food processor or blender until smooth.









No comments:

Post a Comment