A friend of mine recently tried quinoa & raved about it. It's a grain that is very small. It is very high in protein and good for you. I made this Mexican Quinoa Skillet last week. Of course, I tweaked the recipe. ;) I added some black beans, ground turkey (instead of beef) & roasted corn.
Do you ever have leftover taco or chili that you don't know what to do with? This is a great recipe for it. Taco Skins... yummy!
We had some family in town a few weeks ago & I made Penne with Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese for dinner one night. My family & friends are always my guinea pigs. Everyone really enjoyed it. You can get cubed butternut squash at Trader Joes or can cut it up yourself. I find it difficult to find when it's not fall time.
I made these Brown Sugar Bacon Waffles this morning. I wanted to use up some leftover bacon and had some buttermilk to use. Did you know that buttermilk is actually low fat?!?!! It's good for you! I used half the amount of bacon because that's all I had & it was still good. This recipe makes a ton of waffles!! My freezer is full of them.
We eat a TON of Mexican food. This dish (below) can be tweaked with any different kind of meat or no meat. You could top with avocado, sour cream, cilantro & cheese.
Southwestern Black Bean Pasta
1 – 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 – 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, chopped
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 3/4 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste if desired
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Lime wedges, grated Monterrey jack cheese, and cilantro for garnish
1/2 pound pasta
Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large sauté pan. Add the onion sauté for 5 minutes, until tender. Add the chopped bell peppers and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes, and then add the garlic and the spices and sauté 1 more minute. Stir in the beans and tomato sauce.
Let the sauce simmer over low while you prepare the pasta, about 20 minutes. Stir the prepared pasta into the sauce. Taste for flavor and add additional salt if you’d like. Serve topped with a lime wedge for squeezing, Monterrey jack cheese, and chopped cilantro.
These were very good!! I didn't use the pickled jalapenos. I think I used some veggies instead... zucchini and corn.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
1 bunch cilantro
1 cup sour cream
1 (7 ounce) can pickled sliced jalapenos (with carrots & onions)
2 (7 ounce) cans prepared green chile salsa
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
12 (6 inch) flour tortillas
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
To Make Sour Cream Mixture: In a blender or food processor, puree cilantro, sour cream, jalapeno salsa and 1/2 can of the green chile salsa. Set aside.
To Make Chicken Mixture: In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, onion and the remaining 1 1/2 cans of green chile salsa. Mix well.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat tortillas in conventional or microwave oven until soft. Pour enough of the sour cream mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish to coat the bottom.
Place 2 heaping tablespoonfuls of the chicken mixture in each tortilla, roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish. Pour remaining sour cream mixture over all and top with shredded cheese.
Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until dish is heated through and bubbling.
I made this Slow Cooker Ham for Easter. It was super easy and allowed me to use our oven for all the side dishes... which were a lot!! :)
I've made a ton more things but can't find the recipes anymore. :( Happy cooking!!

No comments:
Post a Comment